Tuesday, January 24, 2006

nth degree

Morningwood - Nth Degree (pops)

Today was long and draining, just like I predicted it would be.

World Civ is possibly the most pointless class there is. If she would just say "Here's the study guide, here's the book, the test is on the 26th, be ready", I'd be okay. But no, she has to drag out the class, and validate her existence on some level, by showing movies and passing out busywork. We all know the only thing that matters is the test, and everything on the test is on the study guide, so that's all we focus on. She publishes the study guides on the first day, so there's really no reason to come to class other than the bullshit busywork grades.

If given the opportunity by the curriculum director, I want to have a solely essay-based high-school writing class. No worksheets, no quizzes, no bullshit grades, just four essays, each covering a section of the curriculum. You get the topics at the beginning of the semester, and it's up to you to get them done on time. Each is twenty-five percent of your grade, and you get as many revisions as you think are necessary, within the alloted time. One essay is due every month, with the last essay getting whatever's left of the year after three months (probably a month and a half). Day to day class would be showing different writing styles and techniques, with emphasis on how it applies to modern writing-based occupations. Simple, and perfect for building the self-motivation required in not only future academic settings, but it also teaches working on a deadline and working with an editor, both skills necessary to become a writer. I think it would be perfect for upperclassmen with a literary bent to fill up their schedules with.

Well, pipe dream and all that. It'll never happen, and I'll probably get stuck teaching dim-witted high-school juniors their ABC's.

Spanish sucked, as I did the math and I have approximately an 85 in the class. I've gotten three grades I know of: a 100, an 82, and a mystery number you'll just have to figure out for yourself. That last one is what I got on the quiz I got back today. Not exactly encouraging. Plus, the class itself was mind-numbing repetitive stuff.

I'm beginning to think that certain people, those who acquire high-level English skills early, have a really hard time assimilating foreign languages later in life. Also, I think I'm one of those people. It runs in my family, as my cousin had to be spoonfed Spanish to get through her college degree. Literally, she had to go in and sit down in the office with the teacher and have him whisper the answers as they worked with flash cards. She's about as proficient as I am when it comes to writing and English grammar, but foreign languages escape her completely.

My family is solidly monolingual. We do watch a lot of Univision and Galavision for some reason. Mostly, "Bailando por un Sueno" and Lucha Libre. Seriously, you've got to watch the Mexican version of "Dancing with the Stars". It's the best thing ever, because it's completely understandable even if you don't know a lick of Spanish.

I'm going to bed. I've written too much, and I've got to get up in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search Popdex:

Promote your blog for free.