Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I'll be around

Cee-Lo - I'll Be Around (pops)

Cee-Lo, everybody.

Remember kids, Atlanta and Athens are weird places, and strange stuff happens there. Outkast, Goodie Mob, Danger Mouse, and AdultSwim all came out of the same general area. I truly think there's something in the water. How else could such defiantly anti-mainstream art be produced in what is otherwise a stifling, conservative area?

Anyway, I started back to school. It's going well enough, I guess. there's only a few people left at the school that I know, much less in my classes. With such a relatively high turnover rate for the school, I shouldn't be surprised.

My ESCI class is already a little too tree-huggy for me. Now, I'm as concerned as the next guy about the environment (unless the next guy is Al Gore), but I'm also a confirmed free-market capitalist, and I also have come to embrace civilization in all its forms. If it's down to saving human lives or saving an acre of rainforest, let me get my chainsaw and I'll help cut down the timber myself, biodiversity be damned. Darn it, we clawed our way to the top of the food chain, we're the alpha species, we make the rules.

Spanish is, so far, surprisingly painless. I get to mark another space on my College Bingo Card, namely "Unintelligible Foreign Accent", but I can get the gist of what she says most of the time.

Film and Culture seems to be easy. We watch movies, we write about them, we get out with our two credit hours and are done with it. Plus, there's a nice balance between foreign/indie movies (Monsoon Wedding, Fierce Grace) and more mainstream/"big studio" movies (The Matrix, Brokeback Mountain). Four papers to write, and that's the class.

Intro to Teaching will be either great or horrible. I expect a lot of Dana White-style "Do you wanna be a f*ckin' fighter teacher?!?" speeches, mainly because we've already gotten one in there. But there is an upside to it:

I get to go back to WBHS and torment the little ones again. And I get class credit, too! Essentially, I spend four days with Coach Perry and bothering my cousin (who happens to be in one of his classes).

That's my schedule in a nutshell, plus the Science lab which involves a lot of driving to eco-sites and filling out charts. Whee.

So how were your first few days of school, my loyal college-age readers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search Popdex:

Promote your blog for free.