Friday, April 29, 2005

death of an athlete

Chris Candido died last night. He was 33.

Most of you don't have a clue who he was.

He was the last bastion of southern-style professional wrestling mixed with a new-school attitude. He was a phenomenal wrestler who could have a good match with anyone. He was a good man by all accounts, who had finally cleaned up and gotten off of the narcotic demons that had plagued him since he was in his early twenties.

He took a bump awkwardly in the first minute of a match on Sunday which was broadcast over Pay-Per-View television.

He was rushed to the hospital that night and was found to have broken his tibia and fibula and to have dislocated his heel. The prognosis was good, and he was expected to be out no more than three months, because the breaks were all clean and did not break the skin.

He showed up to the television tapings on Tuesday, and worked several angles (vignettes).

Yesterday, he was eating dinner when he collapsed.

He was rushed to the hospital where he underwent surgery.

He died on the table from complications from a blood clot during surgery.

Chris Candido, who went through both the WWF and ECW, mostly while under the influence of narcotics, died not of an overdose, but of a simple blood clot.

He had finally escaped the throes of addiction. His life was turned around. He was booked in several feds, including TNA, JAPW, IWA:MS, and various smaller indies. He was most likely going to be involved in the ECW reunion shows later this year.

He and his wife, Tammy, had gotten their lives back on track.

And then this happens.

If I ever were to doubt the existence of a kind and benevolent God, this would be the time. However, sometimes (like this), my faith is the only thing that gets me through the day.

When I woke up today, I thought it would be a good day. I've got very little work to do, and after next week, I'm practically done for the year. I was going to write a couple of song reviews for here in my spare time. Now, I've got that pit-of-my-stomach feeling that doesn't go away for a couple of days.

Life's funny sometimes.

My prayers go out to Tammy, Chris' family, and Sonny Siaki. My condolences to all who knew him personally, and all those who, like me, only got to see him in the ring as a great performer. Please include Chris and those around him in your prayers.

Rest in Peace. You Will Be Missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search Popdex:

Promote your blog for free.