Friday, November 18, 2005

whiskey lullaby

Brad Paisley featuring Alison Krauss - Whiskey Lullaby (pops)

Hey, country from the past decade that doesn't suck donkey balls! I know, it's not exactly what you expect to hear from me.

It's simple, really. Brad Paisley is more than competent given a good songwriter, and Alison Krauss...

Well, let's put is this way: she's what angels sound like. Absolutely one of the best voices ever to exist in popular American music. You can keep your Mariahs, your Celines, and your Whitneys. I'll be more than happy to listen to Alison for the rest of my life.

Plus, she's a damn good fiddle player to boot. And a producer and arranger.

So anyway, DirecTV switched from Music Choice channels, which were lackluster at best, to XM channels. I now get around 70 different commercial free radio stations free with my satellite package. I still can't stand most of the stations, but There are one or two I love. For instance, "X Country" plays nothing but Americana, whcih covers everything from Newgrass to Cowpunk to Bakersfield. (Note to those uninitiated in the various alt-country genres: AllMusicGuide is your friend. Descriptions, reviews, and full biographies on anybody you might want to know about.)

The twin alternative stations, "Lucy" and "Fred", are pretty good. I mean, where else are you going to hear the Violent Femmes cover "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" by Culture Club?

"XMU" is the "college" station, which isn't too great, but then again I've been spoiled on college radio, having grown up within 20 miles of Athens, GA all my life. WUOG comes in just fine here.

There's a decent chance I won't gio to school at all next week, as two of my classes have been canceled and one isn't important enough to go to, leaving only Psych to worry about. And that was canceled today since the teacher had to go to a doctor's appointment. On one hand I hope he's feeling better. On the other, I hope his cold drags out over the weekend so class is canceled Monday, too. Then I would have all of next week to veg out and do nothing.

But wait, isn't that pretty much what I already do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search Popdex:

Promote your blog for free.