Tuesday, April 04, 2006

do you realize?

The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize? (pops)

How's it hanging?

I tried to actually do something in the time between my last post and this one. I'm not sure I succeeded, but here's what happened.

Showtime had a free preview weekend. This is the only time I usually get to watch semi-recent movies, because theatres usually suck and I never have time to go to the rental place. I watched a few movies, to say the least.

Number one was Saw. I'm not usually a horror guy, so this was a little out of my element. Still, it was a good movie if you ignore a couple of plot points. One, why didn't Larry, a doctor, notice the guy in the room was breathing? Two, why did he tie off his leg at the ankle when he should have tied it off at the femoral artery? Much less blood loss that way. Anyway, Saw was a good psychological-style thriller, but the Rashomon deal is kind of played out. The kills, which were the reason most people saw the movie, were suitably gory so mission accomplished overall.

I watched Walking Tall. A nice, simple action movie. It doesn't try to really be anything it's not, so in my mind it works. Dwayne is perfectly servicable as an action star. The plot is simple, and if you overthink it, is full of holes, but this is the kind of movie where thinking is bad. Overall, thumbs up.

I also saw Soul Plane. The less said about that, the better. One thing, though: Sofia Vergara, if you're reading this, please feel free to write, call, or email me. Pure hotness.

Finally, I watched Fahrenheit 9/11. Yeah, it's biased, counter-jingoistic, anti-authoritarian propaganda, but the source material wasn't fabricated out of thin air. Michael Moore's probably blowing a lot of little things way out of proportion, but I don't believe in coincidences that big. Independent investigations were absolutely necessary, and the lack of such investigations was unprecedented and conspicuous. Something's rotten in Denmark. The movie is okay for a documentary, but Moore knows when to heighten drama and add levity. He knmows his stuff. Thumbs up.

So that's it. You've got your three and a half movie reviews. Now I'm going to go do homework for a couple of days. Three presentations, due all on the same day. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search Popdex:

Promote your blog for free.